If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Kitchener
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year certification from a Canadian Red Cross provider. Classes are available at CPR-4-LIfe and Coast2Coast First Aid/CPR.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Obtain a valid Canadian Red Cross certification by passing the written and practical exams with at least 80%. The City of Kitchener and the YMCA of Three Rivers Waterloo Region offer courses.
- Access to reliable transportation: Grand River Transit Light Rail (light rail system that departs Conestoga Station and has 19 stops), Grand River Transit Buses (bus system with 50 routes that connect Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Elmira and New Hamburg), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (City Cabs, United Taxi, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Kitchener
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Kitchener Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Kitchener.
A.R. Kaufman Family YMCA
333 Carwood Avenue, Kitchener, ON N2G 3C5, Canada
Head over to YMCA to get your certifications. You can get your Lifesaving Society Bronze Cross, Pool Lifeguard and YMCA Swim Instructor certifications. Additionally, you can reserve times for lap and recreational swimming. You might as well practice your technique while you’re there.
Club Warriors Swim Club
350 Margaret Ave, Kitchener, ON N2H 4J8, Canada
This club is all about getting kids into swimming from a young age and helping adults succeed in competitive settings. The team competes at provincial and national levels and is all about giving swimmers the confidence they need to succeed.
Grand River Recreation Complex
600 Heritage Dr, Kitchener, ON N2B 3T9, Canada
Work out at this aquatic center that has a pool for lap swimming. There are many classes to try out as well. The adult swim and aqua cardio programs are some of the center’s highlights. If you’re trying to improve your swimming skills as an instructor, head over to this pool.
158 B Frederick St, Kitchener, ON N2G 2B7, Canada
Book your appointment to get your CPR/AED and First Aid certifications. You will receive a two-year Red Cross credential upon completion. You can take your courses in person or in a blended online format. Regardless of what you choose, an in-person evaluation is required to get your certification.
Region of Waterloo Swim Club
75 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5, Canada
You’ll find this swim club inside Wilfrid Laurier University. There are many swimming levels, including recreational and competitive teams. Some of the club’s swimmers have gone on to swim in the Olympics. If you dream big, this is the place to be.
Swimming Careers in Kitchener
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Kitchener.
- Swimming Pool Labourer: This job requires you to travel and be willing to learn something new. Responsibilities include opening and closing pools, repairing pools and cleaning them. You can work at Acapulco Pools Ltd in Kitchener or Tim Goodwin Pools Ltd in Waterloo.
- Waterpark Pool Operator: Work at an exciting water park repairing and maintaining pools, water slides and other attractions. This job ensures visitors have an enjoyable experience at the park. Work at Bingemans or Kiwanis Park and Pool in Kitchener.
- Aquatic Assistant: If you love swimming, you’ll love this job that will have you working for the City of Kitchener. You will help plan events, act as a lifeguard and complete clerical tasks in this role. This role also requires you to ensure guests are following the rules and other duties as assigned.
- Lifeguard/Camp Counselor: You will enjoy this job if you like working with kids and helping others. This role entails supervising children in the pool, performing rescues and other duties. Check out Kitchener’s A.R. Kaufman Family YMCA and Cambridge YMCA job postings.
- Community Lifeguard: Travel around and enjoy the region’s many pools. This mobile position will have you acting as a lifeguard at multiple locations. You can work at Kitchener, Waterloo or Cambridge pools depending on where you live.