If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for North York
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year certification from the Canadian Red Cross. Get your certification from a local provider such as North York CPR or Vital CPR - First Aid Training.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: After passing the written and practical exams, you’ll receive a certification from the Canadian Red Cross or Lifesaving Society. Check out classes at Davina’s Swim House or Felix Swim Schools.
- Access to reliable transportation: TTC (an elaborate subway system that travels from Toronto to other parts of the GTA). Go Transit (trains and buses that quickly get you from one city to another), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), Cabs (Aaa Best Choice Taxi, City Taxi, etc.), personal car.
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in North York
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key North York Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in North York.
J-Dophins Swim Club
1 Thompson Rd, North York, ON M3J 1P3, Canada
Check out this diverse swim club inside York University. There are Learn to Swim, Fitness, Competitive and Lifesaving Classes alongside a Masters Team. The Fitness Class can help you build speed and endurance; the Lifesaving Courses will help you become a certified lifeguard.
Douglass Snow Aquatic Centre
5100 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5V7, Canada
Visit this aquatic centre that offers a variety of programming. The Ultra Swim courses teach you the skills you need to save lives. The higher levels award you a two-year Lifesaving Society Lifeguard certification. Standard CPR and First Aid certification and Bronze Medallion courses are also available.
Davina’s Swim House
14 Carluke Cres, North York, ON M2L 2H7, Canada
This swim and water safety training school has been around since 2003. Since then, they have been offering courses for swim instructors and lifeguards. Check out the Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross courses. These will give you advanced rescue and teaching knowledge.
400 Consumers Rd, North York, ON M2J 1P8, Canada
As one of Canada’s governing bodies for swim instructors and lifeguards, this organization hosts a variety of helpful courses. This is the office location where you can ask questions about upcoming classes. Check their website to find out what they offer in your community.
North York CPR
2050 Sheppard Ave E Unit 210, North York, ON M2J 5B3, Canada
Check out this helpful lifesaving course provider. CPR and First Aid certifications and water safety certifications are available. Get your Nationa Lifeguard, Bronze Cross or Bronze Medallion here. Talk to your workplace to find out what their requirements are.
Swimming Careers in North York
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in North York.
- University Lifeguard: Work inside a school where you’ll supervise and rescue anyone in need. This rewarding opportunity also allows you to watch competitive swimmers in action. You’ll find work at York University or the University of Toronto.
- Senior Pool Technician: As a swimmer, you know the importance of a quality pool. If you love and have experience fixing pools and spas, you’ll love this job. In North York, Poolmaster Canada Inc. and Avenue Road Pool Service need hard workers.
- Waterfront Lifeguard: Beaches are a popular summer destination, so it’s fairly easy to find a job at one. You will supervise visitors, perform rescues and answer visitor questions. The City of Toronto and York Region both hire people for this role.
- AquaFitness Instructor: Help people get active in the pool this season. This mobile job will have travelling throughout the cities of Toronto and North York. You will provide safe instruction, create fun lesson plans and more. Apply at University Settlement to learn more about this role.
- Camp Lifeguard: Working at a summer camp is plenty of fun if you love kids. You will watch over kids swimming in the lake, enforce safety rules and clean the area. Camp Howland in Toronto is a short drive from North York.