If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Orleans
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year certification from the Canadian Red Cross or another accredited organization. Classes are available at Canadian Group Emergency Training Inc. or DNT Safety Training.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Pass the Canadian Red Cross or Lifesaving Society written and practical exams to get a valid certification. Bob Macquarrie Recreation Complex and the Aqua Life Swim Academy offer courses.
- Access to reliable transportation: OC Transpo (the city of Ottawa’s regional bus system that makes stops throughout the city and surrounding suburbs such as Orlean and Gloucester), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Executive Cab Orleans, Taxi Downtown Ottawa etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Orleans
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Orleans Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Orleans.
University of Ottawa Swimming
Montpetit Hall, 125 University Private, Suite 039, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5, Canada
This massive indoor swimming pool is ideal for a variety of activities. There are times set aside for lap swimming, leisure swimming and women’s swimming. Courses such as Stand First Aid with CPR-C/Aed and National Lifeguard Pool are available at certain times.
1240 Bronson Ave, Ottawa, ON K1S 2A6, Canada
The university pool is open to the general public for recreational, lap and fitness swimming. There are Aquatic Fitness classes and two practice times for Masters Canada swim teams. Bronze Star, Bronze Medallion and National Lifeguard training are available for swim instructors.
Team Triumph Triathlon Club
774 Eastbourne Ave, Ottawa, ON K1K 0H7, Canada
Become a better runner, biker and swimmer when you start training with this club. Whether you’re training for an IRONMAN event or trying to shave seconds off your time, you’ll get the help you need. The club also sells swim tow floats and wetsuits for athletes.
City of Ottawa Aquatics Department
10 Laurier Ave West, Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1, Canada
Come to this city department to get information about all things swimming! The staff know about the city’s best pools and where to take classes. The Canadian Red Cross and Life Saving Society run programs across the city. Check their website to see what’s available at your local pool.
First Aid 4U Training Ottawa East
700 Industrial Ave #430, Ottawa, ON K1G 0Y9, Canada
Whether you’re getting your certification for the first time or renewing, your instructor will make sure you're comfortable. You’ll practice on dummies and learn the lifesaving techniques you need to succeed in the pool. Upon completing the course, you’ll receive a CPR/AED and First Aid certificate from the Canadian Red Cross.
Swimming Careers in Orleans
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Orleans.
- Military Swim Instructor/Lifeguard: Serve your country in the pool this season. You will be responsible for conducting swim classes and supervising free swim times on the base. Find a job with Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services at the pool in Orleans.
- Children’s Sports Coach: Help little ones swim like pros this summer! Working in a camp setting, you’ll make up games and supervise children in the pool. Orleans Recreation Development Organization and Motivati Athletic Group hire for this role.
- Beach Service Coordinator: Spend your days at the beach! You will supervise guests, set and up take down volleyball nets, communicate with city staff and perform other duties as required. Work is available at Mooney’s Bay Park and Beach and Petrie Island Beach in Orleans.
- Special Needs Swim Instructor: If you’re passionate about helping others succeed, give this role a try. You will teach kids and adults with physical, sensory and other types of disabilities to learn to swim. The City of Ottawa and S.W.A.M look for kind and compassionate instructors.
- Wading Pool Lifeguard: Watch little ones get in the pool for the first time! You’ll supervise, perform rescues and support water safety. Work at one of many wading pools throughout Orleans and Ottawa. Balena Park Wading Pool and Woodroffe Wading Pool are some examples.