If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Middletown
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Complete a two-year certification course provided by an American Red Cross approved instructor. Check out classes from Aquidneck Island Adult Learning Center and Certfied Rescued Courses LLC.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Obtain your certification by passing the practical and written exam administered by the American Red Cross. Courses are available at Newport YMCA and Lifeguard Classes.
- Access to reliable transportation: Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (a bus system that operates through the state and has more than 15 stops in Middletown and a station), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Orange Cab, Island Taxi, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Middletown
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Middletown Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Middletown.
Newport County YMCA
792 Valley Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, United States
This non-profit gym is a hub for swimming certifications. You can get the training you need to be a lifeguard or swim instructor here. Courses in CPR/AED and First Aid and Lifeguard Training are available. The indoor pool is also spacious and ideal for swimming laps.
Aquidneck Island Adult Learning Center
740 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, United States
This specialty school trains adults in a variety of areas. You can take courses in CPR/AED and First Aid here. Classes use hands-on simulations and the instructors are knowledgeable about the latest rescue techniques.
344 Aquidneck Ave, Middletown, RI 02842, United States
Middletown has a variety of ports nearby, which makes this a useful place for up-and-coming sailors. However, many courses are helpful for swim instructors and lifeguards as well. CPR, First Aid and Water Safety certifications are available.
Crimson Aquatics - South County
105 Keaney Rd, Kingstown, RI 02881, United States
Inside the University of Rhode Island, you’ll find this competitive swim team. Three is a variety of practice groups. There are practice groups for youth and a team that competes for the university itself. If you’re a student, consider trying out for the group that suits you.
Bubbles Dive Center
55 Chapel St #3255, Newport, RI 02840, United States
Are you looking to get more experience in the open water? Look no further than this shop that offers a variety of diving certifications. Courses include open water diving and SSI Stress and Rescue. There’s also plenty of equipment to buy or rent.
Swimming Careers in Middletown
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Middletown.
- Beach Port Lifeguard: There are a couple of beaches close to Middletown. This job will have you watching over swimmers, rescuing them and ensuring they keep their distance from boats. You can work at Spouting Rock Beach in Newport or Mackerel Cove Beach.
- Head Lifeguard and Pool Director: Take on this role that will have you teaching others, supervising them and spending time at the poolside. Sakonnet Point Club and The Greenwich Club are both less than half an hour away from Middletown.
- Lifeguard Captain: You need to be a jack of all trades to handle this role. You will need to know lifeguarding techniques, how to surf and how to collaborate with community members. The Town of Middletown is looking for an ambitious individual to fill this position.
- Recreation Assistant Lifeguard: Serve your country from the poolside by working for the US Navy Commander in Middletown. This lifeguard job will have you working on the base and supervising patrons. You will report to the head lifeguard and perform the required duties.
- Beach Lot/Ramp Supervisor: Enjoy some time outside in the sun while directing boats to the ramps and cars to the beach. Beaches in Middletown such as Second Beach and Peabody’s Beach start looking for help when the weather gets warmer.