If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Johns Island
As an AquaMobile swim instructor in Johns Island, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year certification from the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. Grace CPR and ACLS Trainers offer courses.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: After passing the written and practical American Red Cross exams, you’ll receive a valid certification. Charleston County Park and Barrier Island Ocean Rescue offer training.
- Access to reliable transportation: TriCounty Link (bus system serving Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester that has Route C205 that makes eight stops on Johns Island), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Folly Beach Taxi and Shuttle, Charleston Yellow Top Taxi, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Applicants who don’t meet the following requirements will still be considered for the role, providing all relevant qualifications/checks are obtained prior to starting.
Become a swimming instructor in Johns Island
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Johns Island Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential practice for a swimming instructor. Here are some helpful resources for skill improvement and swimming instructor certification in Johns Island.
Barrier Island Ocean Rescue
3772 Seabrook Island Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455, United States
These lifeguards patrol beaches across Johns Island. Whether you’re looking for a job or getting to know other lifeguards, this is an important network to be a part of. Rookie, seasonal and permanent positions are available.
3050 Marlin Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455, United States
Learn to glide across the ocean from this water skiing instructor. You will learn how to balance, ski and do tricks if you get an annual pass. As a swim instructor, you can tone your arm muscles by water skiing. It’s a sport that requires a lot of upper body strength.
W L Stephens Aquatic Center
780 W Oak Forest Dr, Charleston, SC 29407, United States
This indoor pool is open year-round for all your swimming needs. There are times aside for lap swimming and water aerobics classes. Lap swimming will help you perfect your stroke technique and improve endurance; water aerobics will tone your muscles and increase upper body strength.
Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission
861 Riverland Dr, Charleston, SC 29412, United States
This city department covers all of Charleston County, including James Island and Johns Island. If you’re looking for water safety training, speak to a representative from this city department. CPR/AED, First Aid, Lifeguarding and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) classes are available across the county.
Charleston CPR LLC
833 Burnett Dr, Charleston, SC 29412, United States
Learn the essential skills of CPR and First Aid at this private emergency training school. You’ll get one-on-one attention from the instructor who’s a firefighter. Classes are small and accessible for all skill levels. If you enjoy the course, come back for renewal in two years!
Swimming Careers in Johns Island
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Johns Island.
- Beach Lifeguard: There are several beaches across Johns Island. As a Barrier Island Ocean Rescue team member, you’ll supervise the beaches on foot, ATVs and watercrafts. You will perform rescues, enforce safety rules and answer any questions visitors may have.
- Hotel Pool Attendant: Make guests feel welcome, clean the pool, hand out towels and serve as a backup lifeguard. These are some of the responsibilities that this job entails. The Ryder Hotel and West Ashley Suites in Charleston are looking for hard workers. Both hotels aren’t far from Charleston.
- Swimming Pool Start-Up Technician: You’ll help people set up their pool for the first time. You will chemically balance pools, install control systems and introduce customers to pool features. In Johns Island, you can work at Heritage Pools LLC or Charleston Pool and Spa.
- Pool Cleaner: Everyone wants a clean swimming pool. It’s your job to give it to them! You’ll use a skimmer, pool vacuum and other tools to keep pools across Charleston County in shape. Check out job opportunities at SC Coastal Pools and Meadows Pool and Spa in Johns Island.
- Aquarium Gift Shop Sales Associate: There’s nothing quite as exciting as going to the aquarium! Working in the gift shop at South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston is a fun and exciting role. You’ll provide customer service, help customers check out and much more.