If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Chesapeake
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Having a two-year certification that’s accredited by the experts at the American Red Cross. The Beat Goes On CPR & First Aid Training and Northstar 1st Response are helpful training schools in your community.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: With the knowledge gained from an American Red Cross certification, you’ll be ready to save lives. Head over to the YMCA of South Hampton Roads or Virginia Beach Lifeguard Training.
- Access to reliable transportation: Hampton Roads Transit (provider of bus, light rail, ferry, ridesharing and paratransit service in Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach), Norfolk Station (train system that travels through the surrounding regions), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Chesapeake
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Chesapeake Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Chesapeake.
Cheshire Forest Flying Fish
5000 Cheshire Forest Dr, Chesapeake, VA 23222, United States
The pool is on the smaller side at this facility. However, many meets tend to happen here, which makes it a good place to practice. The club also has its own competitive swim team.
Greenbrier Family YMCA
1033 Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA 23320, United States
This gym is great for the whole family. The pool is the biggest highlight. Courses in CPR, First Aid and Lifeguarding are offered at this facility. Certifications are accredited by the American Red Cross.
ODU Recreation Center
4700 Powhatan Ave, Norfolk, VA 23529, United States
Inside Old Dominion University is a gym that houses a massive pool. If you’re going to school and looking to train, try out for the swim team. Joining will make you a faster and better swimmer.
2121 Landstown Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23456, United States
Swim teams aren’t just for kids at this club! There is a masters team that practices at the local YMCAs a couple of times a week. Swim with this group if you’re ready to take your training to the next level!
American Red Cross
5265 Providence Rd STE 401, Virginia Beach, VA 23464, United States
This is your one-stop place to get your CPR/AED and First Aid certifications. These skills are essential for swim instructors and lifeguards. So why not give back to a helpful community organization in the process?
Swimming Careers in Chesapeake
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Chesapeake.
- Swimming Fitness Instructor: Promote a healthy and active lifestyle in the water when you take this job. Make up lesson plans and routines that everyone will love. Work at a local gym like Onelife Fitness or cater to an exclusive clientele at Greenbrier Country Club.
- Swimming Pool Sales Associate: Help others pick out the pool of their dreams while working in a retail environment. Stores like East Coast Leisure Pools and Spas and Leslie’s Poolmart are always looking for enthusiastic new team members.
- Navy Lifeguard: Live in your hometown of Chesapeake while serving in the Navy poolside. You will perform rescues, maintain the pool’s cleanliness and chemical levels and operate rescue vehicles if you work on the waterfront.
- Commercial Diver: Companies like Precon Marine Inc. and your local Navy branch are always looking for commercial divers. Responsibilities include maintaining equipment and documenting things that need repairs. You must have diving experience and knowledge of the industry.
- Pool Attendant: Work in a resort environment such as Hilton Grand Vacations in nearby Virginia Beach. You will be responsible for maintaining the pool, giving guests information about the resort and replenishing towels and other supplies.