If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Calgary
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Obtain your two-year certification from a Canadian Red Cross instructor. Heart2Heart CPR First Aid Training Calgary and Calgary First Aid are good places to start.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: You will need a two-year Bronze Cross and Alberta workplace approved First Aid. YMCA Calgary and the University of Calgary both offer courses.
- Access to reliable transportation: C Train (light rail system centered in the downtown that goes in different directions to residential areas), Bus Rapid Transit (bus system that has 169 routes running through the city), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Calgary United Cabs, Delta Cab Ltd., etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Calgary
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Calgary Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Calgary.
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
4995 Market St SE, Calgary, AB T3M 2P9, Canada
There is a recreation pool and a competition pool at this local gym. You can practice your stroke techniques or enrol in some classes. This location offers Canadian Red Cross certifications in CPR, First Aid and Lifeguarding.
Calgary Patriots Swim Club
2225 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB T2G 5B6, Canada
The team helps kids learn to swim and has a heavy focus on competition. They practice at the Repsol Sports Centre and have eight different skill levels and age groups. The elite training program is all about performance and emphasizes the technique refinement needed to compete at the Western and National levels.
University of Calgary Active Living
Kinesiology Complex, 2500 University Dr. NW, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Canada
This university takes getting active pretty seriously. They even have a swim team and offer courses that are perfect for swim instructors and lifeguards. CPR, First Aid and Lifeguard Training courses are available for students and the local community.
Vacova’s Aquatics, Health and Fitness
3304 33 St NW, Calgary, AB T2L 2A6, Canada
The pool at this recreation is home to many classes. Getting active in the water is an important part of getting in shape and becoming a better swimmer. Some of the aquatic classes include AquaFitness, Pool Yoga and Aerobics!
Canadian Red Cross
1305 11 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T3C 3P6, United States
This non-profit organization is run by a great group of volunteers who are passionate about keeping the community safe. CPR, First Aid and Lifeguarding courses are available here. Get your certifications and you’ll be saving lives in no time!
Swimming Careers in Calgary
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Calgary.
- University Lifeguard: Check out St. Mary’s University or the University of Calgary to try out this exciting job. You will supervise swimmers and ensure the pool area is clean. Experience in pool maintenance is also an asset.
- Port Inspection Diver: Serve your country when you join the Canadian Armed Forces. If you’re a great diver, give this job a try. You’ll be responsible for searching and surveying the water underneath ships for explosive devices and much more.
- Artistic Swim Coach: Do you love synchronized swimming? If it’s your favourite pastime and you love helping others, this is the career for you. Calgary Elite Synchro is looking for coaches in Calgary and surrounding areas.
- Safety Ambassador: Work as a lifeguard for the government of Alberta and ake great money at the same time. Fish Creek Provincial Park is a good place to apply because its beach is massive and there’s always something going on!
- Swimwear Sales Associate: Help customers get ready for their next vacation and feel comfortable and confident in their bathing suits. This sales job requires you to know a lot about swimwear and its functions, making it perfect for swimmers. In Calgary, Shapes N Figures Swimwear and other local sports stores hire people for this position.