If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Ancaster
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year certification from a Canadian Red Cross or Lifesaving Society course provider. Check out courses from ALERT - Active Learning Emergency Response Training or St. John Ambulance.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Pass the Canadian Red Cross or Lifesaving Society written and practical exams with a score of 80% or better. Take classes at RecHill Park or Rec-Benetto in the springtime.
- Access to reliable transportation: Hamilton Street Railway (bus and streetcar system with routes throughout Hamilton with connections to GO stations in nearby Burlington), Uber/Uride (rideshare services), cab (Wavetrans, Ancaster Taxi Inc., etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Ancaster
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Ancaster Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Ancaster.
Ancaster Alligators Masters Swim Team
47 Meadowbrook Dr, Ancaster, ON L9G 3K8, Canada
This competitive adult swim team practices at the Ancaster Aquatic Centre. Affiliates include Masters Swim Canada and Masters Swim Ontario. You’ll work on improving your stroke technique, endurance and overall skills with the help of a professional coach. Improving your technique will help you become a better teacher.
Ancaster Aquatic Centre
47 Meadowbrook Dr, Ancaster, ON L9G 3K8, Canada
This swimming centre offers a variety of programs for all ages. There are lanes for swimming and aquatic fitness classes too. Check out the regular water fitness programs if you’re looking to exercise and build muscle. If you have a little one, parent and tot programs are perfect for you.
St. John Ambulance
2-1276 Sangill Dr, Ancaster, ON L9G 4V5, Canada
This emergency training school will help you get your CPR and First Aid certification. The standard course is suitable for swim instructors and lifeguards. The classes meet Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Workplace First Aid (WFA) standards.
Les Chater Family YMCA
356 Rymal Rd E, Hamilton, ON L9B 1C2, Canada
Here’s a local gym with a generously-sized indoor swimming pool. The gym’s website shows the certification course schedule. Bronze Star, Bronze Medallion, Bronze Medallion, National Lifeguard and Standard First Aid and CPR C classes are available on select dates.
City of Hamilton Recreation
71 Main St W, Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5, Canada
The city has many jobs and training opportunities for lifeguards and swimming instructors. There are water fitness programs at Hamilton’s recreation centres. Additionally, there’s a combined Swim, Lifesaving and Emergency First Aid Instructor program from the Lifesaving Society on offer.
Swimming Careers in Ancaster
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Ancaster.
- Summer Lifeguard: Responsibilities include supervising guests, testing and balancing the water and keeping the facility clean. Most jobs are a short drive from Ancaster once it gets warm out. Opportunities are available at PPL Aquatics in Hamilton and Pro Line Pool and Spa Services in Burlington.
- Aquatic Program Lead: Take on an exciting leadership role in Ancaster this swimming season. You will create swim lesson plans, supervise fellow lifeguards and instructors and support skill development. BGC Hamilton-Halton and Les Charter Family YMCA are looking for help.
- Waterfront Lifeguard: Enjoy the beach this summer by taking in the view from your lifeguard chair. You will supervise, prevent accidents, perform recures and answer guest questions at a beach near Ancaster. Work at one of the Conservation Halton beaches such as Kelso Beach Reservation in Burlington.
- Swimming Pool Installer: Join this exciting trade at the right time of year and you might find a career path. You’ll help with pool layout, set up the walls and steps and fix the plumbing in spa waterfalls. Find work with Coombs Pool Service Eco-Pools Ltd.
- Technical Diver: In this role, you’ll fix various equipment underwater. For the most part, you’ll be working with boats and watercrafts. If you’re an experienced diver and engineer, ASI Group in Stoney Creek wants you.