If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Orillia
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Get a two-year certification from the Canadian Red Cross from a local course provider such as Orillia First Aid or Canadian Business Health Management.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Pass the Canadian Red Cross written and practical exams to get a valid certification. Take a course from the Lifesaving Society or through the City of Orillia.
- Access to reliable transportation: Orillia (bus system that has six different routes throughout the city and transfers can be made at the terminal), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Able Taxi, All Canadian Taxi, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Orillia
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Orillia Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Orillia.
Orillia Parks, Recreation and Culture
50 Andrew St S, Orillia, ON L3V 7T5, Canada
This city department has everything you need for all things swimming. The city offers classes such as CPR, First Aid and Lifeguard Training when summer rolls around. After completing a course, you’ll receive a two-year Canadian Red Cross certificate, which allows you to lifeguard across the city.
Orillia Recreation Centre
255 West St S, Orillia, ON L3V 5G9, Canada
This is the city’s main swimming facility. It houses an eight-lane 25-metre pool and two different diving boards. There are times reserved for lap swimming and rehabilitative courses are hosted in the therapy pool. Come here to fulfill all your swimming needs.
Pauline Barratt Aquatics
18 Peter St N, Orillia, ON L3V 4Y7, Canada
There is a variety of programs available for swimmers of all ages at this facility. Swim instructors may be interested in the Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross courses. Programs are accredited by the Canadian Red Cross and Lifesaving Society.
Orillia First Aid
97 Dunlop St, Orillia, ON L3V 5P3, Canada
Get the Canadian Red Cross certifications you need as a lifeguard or swim instructor. The classes are small, which means you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and learn from your mistakes. Upon completion, you’ll receive a two-year certification.
Continuing Community Education
575 West St S #15, Orillia, ON L3V 5H4, Canada
The aquatic leadership program helps connects students to swimming jobs in the community. At Orillia Recreation Center, you can get your Candian Red Cross First Aid, CPR and Lifeguard certifications. Bronze Cross and Bronze Medallion classes are also available.
Swimming Careers in Orillia
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Orillia.
- Pool Opener and Closer: You need to close pools to keep them clean and free of debris. You will join the pool construction as well. Responsibilities include adding chemicals, hooking up pool equipment and more. WaveMaker Pool Spa Showroom in Orillia is hiring.
- Waterfront Supervisor: Find a job at a local beach this summer. As a beach lifeguard, you’ll supervise patrons, perform rescues and let visitors know when it’s safe to swim. In Orillia, you can work at Couchiching Beach Park, Moose Beach or one of Orillia’s many other beaches.
- Camp Lifeguard: Working with kids is always fun! At a summer camp, you’ll supervise kids swimming in the lake and help with events such as “Polar Bear” swims. If you’re fun and energetic, try applying at Sparrow Lake Camp or Simcoe/Muskoka YMCA. Both are a short drive from Orillia.
- Floating Water Park Lifeguard: It’s hard to feel down when you’re working at a beachfront water park. Splash On Water Parks comes to Orillia seasonally. You will supervise a water playground that includes monkey bars, slides and balance beams. Your job is to enforce the rules and ensure everyone is playing safely.
- Swim and Lifesaving Instructor: If you’re a water safety expert, why not share your knowledge with others? In this role, you will teach Water Safety Instructor (WSI) and Lifeguarding classes. You must have the proper certifications to teach for the City of Orillia.