If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Manchester
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Two-year American Red Cross or American Heart Association certification from a local organization such as Manchester CPR Programs or CPR Training Professionals.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Pass the American Red Cross practical and written exams to get a valid certification. Take courses at the YMCA of Greater Hartford or Globe Hollow Pool.
- Access to reliable transportation: Ct Transit (bus system with routes every two to three blocks that connects Manchester to urban centers such as Hartford, New Haven and other cities), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (Ace Taxi, Manchester Cab & Livery, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Manchester
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Manchester Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Manchester.
Manchester Swim Club
134 Middle Turnpike E, Manchester, CT 06040, United States
This private swim club is an affiliate member of USA Swimming and Connecticut Swimming. The team has been around for over 35 years and is a private non-profit youth swim club. This is a great place to mentor young swimmers and practice your teaching skills.
Manchester CPR Programs
75 Center St, Manchester, CT 06040, United States
Check out some of the classes at this emergency training school. There are general First Aid and CPR instruction classes suitable for swim instructors and lifeguards. The school is an American Heart Association affiliate and is ready to help you with your certification needs.
Connecticut Parks and Recreation
575 Pleasant Valley Rd, South Windsor, CT 06074, United States
Many classes are offered by the State’s parks and recreation department. Take courses in Veteran’s Memorial Park Pool in South Windsor. American Red Cross Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) training are available at the beginning of summer.
YMCA of Greater Hartford
50 State House Square, Hartford, CT 06103, United States
Swimmers love this gym. The Y offers Lifeguard Training, Lifeguard Recertification, CPR and First Aid classes. You will learn professional rescue techniques and other important skills like administering oxygen.
Glenbrooke Outdoor Sport Center
429 Oak St, East Hartford, CT 06118, United States
This private swim club has everything you need to succeed in the pool. They offer private swimming lessons for kids and scuba diving lessons. As a swim instructor, you’ll be spending a lot of time in the pool and this club will help diversify your skillset.
Swimming Careers in Manchester
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Manchester.
- Waterfront Director: Work at a summer camp in nearby Lebanon this summer. The Girl Scouts of Connecticut is a short drive from Manchester and hires for this role. You’ll conduct swim tests, supervise aquatic staff and plan waterfront activities for the campers.
- In-Ground Pool Installer: You will be responsible for installing pools in backyards across Manchester. You’ll be responsible for building, measuring and some plumbing. Job opportunities are available at Namco Pools and Landmark Swimming Pools.
- Gym Swim Instructor: Help others maintain a healthy and active lifestyle in the pool this season. Job duties include designing exercise routines and helping guests set and achieve their fitness goals. You’ll find work at the Greater Hartford YMCA or Healthtrax Fitness & Wellness.
- Apartment Lifeguard: Work at an apartment complex pool as a lifeguard. You’ll supervise patrons, perform rescues and keep the pool area clean. Most jobs are a short drive from Manchester. Look for a job at Santini Villa Apartments and The Grand Lofts in Vernon.
- Pool Attendant: Work at a community pool as a pool attendant. You’ll be responsible for supervising swimmers, enforcing water safety rules and maintaining the pool area. When the weather gets warm, pools across Manchester need hard workers. Work at Marcy MacDonald Pool or Salters Pool.