If you’re interested in joining the team, here’s what you need to know!
Job Requirements for Key West
As an AquaMobile swim instructor, you will need:
- Up to date First Aid & CPR certification: Get your two-year certification from a community organization that's accredited by the American Red Cross. Head over to PUSH for Life or CNC Medical Training LLC for classes.
- Swim Instructor/Lifeguard certification: Pass the written and practical exams to get your two-year American Red Cross certification. Check out classes at the College of the Florida Keys or the YMCA of Key West.
- Access to reliable transportation: Key West Department of Transportation (bus service with 20 routes through Key West, Stock Island, the Lower Keys and Marathon), Uber/Lyft (rideshare services), cab (D.B. Taxi, Key West Taxi, etc.), personal car
- Two or more years of swim teaching/coaching and/or lifeguarding experience
- A love for swimming and a passion for teaching
Become a swimming instructor in Key West
AquaMobile Instructor Core Values
At AquaMobile, we're passionate about ensuring every student has the best possible experience in and out of the water. That's why we pride ourselves on our strong, core values.
- Building Confidence Through Sport: Using positive reinforcement and encouragement, our swimming instructors promote self-confidence to foster a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Water Safety: By possessing the proper certifications and integrating water safety skills as the foundation of every lesson, our swimming instructors ensure lessons are safe and fun for all ages.
- Flexibility and Responsibility: Our instructors have the flexibility to set their own schedules. All we ask is that you maintain up-to-date availability on your AquaMobile profile.
- Hands-On Teaching: We believe the best way to learn is by participating. You can't learn to swim on dry land, so as an instructor, you'll be getting clients into the water right away!
- Customer Focused: We want our clients to be happy, so we adopt a customer-focused approach to lesson planning. Any customer feedback should be used to influence future sessions.
Key Key West Swimming Networks for Instructors
Continually developing existing skills and learning new ones is an essential l practice for a swimming instructor. Listed below are some helpful resources for skill improvement and certifications in Key West.
Bone Island Masters Club
5901 College Rd, Key West, FL 33040, United States
This USA Masters Swim Team practices in the lap pool at the College of the Florida Keys practices Monday through Friday. You must be a member of USA Swimming Florida to join. The pool charges daily, monthly and yearly rates to practice in it.
Captain’s Corner Dive Center
125 Ann St, Key West, FL 033040, United States
A good swimmer knows how to stay underwater safely for long periods of time. Getting your diving certifications can help you become a better teacher as well. This shop offers Open Water, Rescue Diver and Dive Master PADI certifications.
Swim Around Key West
2601 S Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040, United States
If you have what it takes, try swimming in this annual open water event. The race is 12.5 miles long and happens every June. This is a chance to mingle and network with fellow open water swimmers. The event’s proceeds benefit the Key West High School Swim and Bone Island Swim Club.
CNC Medical Training LLC
Naval Air Station, Key West, FL 33040, United States
Getting your CPR and First Aid certification is essential for a swim instructor or lifeguard. A paramedic teaches the course and understands the importance of these certifications. The class is hands-on and shows you how to apply your knowledge to real-life situations.
Captain School Key West
1107 Truman Ave, Key West, FL 33040, United States
This school for boat captains is also great for swim instructors and lifeguards. Check out the American Heart Association CPR and First Aid certification. It meets the U.S. Coast Guard criteria and is an important part of working on the water.
Swimming Careers in Key West
Sometimes you can love something so much that you want to turn it into a career! Here are some of the options for swimming careers in Key West.
- Beach Attendant: Work in a resort’s fast-paced environment at this job that requires you to be happy and sociable. You will direct guests to the beach, answer phone calls and recommend nearby attractions in Key West. Opportunities are available at Southernmost Beach Resort.
- Resort Service Worker: Work poolside at a resort where you’ll make sure guests are happy and safe. Share your love of the water with others while bringing towels and food to guests in Key West. Apply at Ocean Key Resort & Spa or Highgate Hotel.
- Dolphin Trainer: This job gives you the opportunity to work with some of your favorite animals. Check out Theater of the Sea in Key West or Dolphins Plus in Key Largo for job opportunities. Go for a swim and make sure your dolphins feel safe and at home.
- Beach and Pool Server: Do you love food, drinks and making sure everyone has a great vacation? If you do, this Key West hospitality job may be for you. The Hilton and Pier House Resort and Spa offer jobs.
- Boat Tour Guide: Share your love for your hospitality on a boat. You will act as a tour guide and point out the sights along the way. In Key West, there are many yacht charters and cruise lines. You can work for Key Marine Service or Sunset Watersports Key West.