Looking for your favorite holiday cookie recipes? You’ve found the classics here with our scrumptious gingerbread and our chewy sugar cookies. Read on to find out how you can make these festive masterpieces, and get inspired to add a little aquatic flair.
Holiday Cookie: Classic Gingerbread Man
Who doesn’t love a good old fashioned gingerbread cookie? With this easy recipe create a wonderful gingerbread cookie that can be decorated in many unique ways!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In another bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed.
- Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic, and let stand at room temperature for 2-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Prepare baking sheets by greasing or lining with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to ¼ thick. *Tip: sprinkle flour to keep dough from sticking.
- Cut out cookies with desired cutter, and space 1-1.5 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Decorate! Get inspired with one of the fun aquatic themes below!
For the competitive types, try a gingerbread pro swimmer!
Holiday Cookie: Chewy Sugar Cookies
You can make these deliciously chewy sugar cookies in just 15 minutes! These classic holiday cookie treats are easily cut into many shapes and provide an ideal surface to decorate. It’s a fun activity for the whole family, with a delicious snack to enjoy afterward!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add granulated sugar to a large bowl. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well.
- Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, 1½-2 inches apart, and lightly press each cookie down.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Take out, cool, and decorate! Get inspired with some of the fun aquatic shapes below!
This cookie design is so delightfully Dory!
Or have a little fun with fins – our personal faves!